Thank you for your interest in the Soon To Be Famous Illinois Author Project!
The deadline to submit work for the 2017 contest has now passed. Thank you for your interest – if you missed this year’s contest, we typically put out a call for authors around mid-October, so try again later this year!
This exciting, library-driven initiative is entering its fourth year and just keeps getting better. Thanks to our new partnership with BiblioBoard, and our ongoing partnership with RAILS and ILA, potential benefits to winning authors now include:
• Statewide recognition by libraries as the top self-published book
• $1,000 cash prize
• Announcement of winner and finalists at Gail Borden Public Library author program
• Print book sales to Illinois libraries
• Promotion and royalties through sales in the Indie Rock Stars module, alongside indie bestselling superstars
• Inclusion in Popup Picks, a mobile media curation service offered by Reaching Across Illinois Library System, for three months
• Book review in Library Journal
• Book tour of Illinois libraries
How do you submit your book?
- Find an Illinois library (public, academic, school, or special) that is willing to sponsor your book. A staff person from that library will need to submit an online sponsorship form – details here.
- After your nominating form is submitted, you will receive an email with instructions on how to submit your e-book.
- Remember: participating authors must live in Illinois, and the work being submitted must be a self-published work in an adult fiction genre.
Gather all the information you need to apply, including:
Your email address
Your mailing address (you must be an Illinois resident)
Your phone number
The title of your self-published novel – reminder, this contest is open to authors of fiction for adults
A short synopsis of your book
Your book in .ePUB or PDF format.
Is your book currently a Mobi file? Read the following information about converting your book to one of the accepted file formats.
Mobi Files FAQ
What file types can I submit to the Soon To Be Famous (STBF) Illinois Author Project?
Soon To Be Famous accepts books in ePUB or PDF format. These accepted formats have file extensions of .epub and .pdf, respectively.
I have a MOBI file. Can I submit to Soon To Be Famous?
Mobipocket files (or MOBI files) have a file extension of either .mobi or .prc. If your file has one of these extensions—or any other unsupported file extension—you’ll need to convert it before being able to submit to Soon To Be Famous.
How do I convert my MOBI file (or other unsupported file) to an ePUB or PDF?
There are a number of free online tools available that offer conversion of one file type to another, such as http://www.zamzar.com/, where you can simply upload your file, choose your desired file extension and download your converted book within minutes.
NOTE: Before submitting, you should check to be sure your file has been converted properly and that no formatting errors have occurred.
If you are unable to convert your file, or have questions about submitting to the Soon To Be Famous Illinois Author Project, please contact email@example.com